Monday, April 7, 2014

Day 9. Money money money!

Lesson 9: The Savings!!

You are seriously not going to believe how much you are saving by not drinking. I would spend on average $60-$120 per night when I drank out, and anywhere from $40-$100 drinking in when I became a closet wino. At minimum, I was saving $400 per month.

It's fun to calculate how much you will save in one month, six months, and a year. Then how about making a vacation, bills, or shopping goal? Four times I put my wine money ($40 every other day or $20 a day) into a savings account and at the end of the month bought a pair of $300 Corral cowboy boots, a pair of Manolos, a pair of Louboutins, and a pair of Jimmy Choos. When I get compliments on them I either tell the person what I did usually, or just beam knowing by not boozing up I can afford something nice, fancy, and fun.

Even now without intentionally saving for something special, I shock myself by having extra cash in my checking account!

What was sad about my bad habit was what I would do to scramble and get the money for alcohol when I was spending too much on "good" wine. Now I'm sure people do worse things, I'd cash in my piggy bank for booze or sell clothes I didn't want to get rid of at the consignment shop for a mere $5-$20 then get something cheap at the liquor store or God forbid 'just beer'. That is still pretty pathetic and I could have done much better with my time! Maybe gone to a movie, the ballet or symphony, a sports game, gone ice skating, window shopping, or gone to the museum and experienced much more joy.

So savvy SoberStars, what are you going to do with all your cashola?

Love, peace, and shoes,

The Savvy Sobergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment