Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Play! Day ten.

Lesson #10: natural highs.

All kids love to play. It's fun!  It is a fact that children laugh about 300 times a day when the average adult laughs about three. Sad huh? We are taught to grow up, take things seriously, and that has given us so much stress that we turn to alcohol to make us feel good. We aren't allowed to play with toys or swing on the swings or twirl in the middle of the shopping mall because we'll look weird. A great yoga teacher once told me "We are all weird, just pretending not to be." I don't call it weird but outgoing, having fun, de-stressing! Now if you don't feel like going to the mall and twirling or skipping from store to store I won't get mad. However I want you to do a cardio activity that makes you feel good and gets your dopamine up. You don't need substances to get you high. I just did Zumba at home and I feel fantastic. You can also go to classes that make you feel like a kid like salsa, Glowga, laughter therapy, a rollerblading group, street hockey, a tennis club, golf lessons, or Zumba in a class. And you know you CAN go swing on the swings, run through the sprinklers or the mall fountain, play volleyball, skip rope, jump on the trampoline, and if people laugh that's THEIR stuff. You won't see them again. You won't get arrested (well depending which mall fountain it is actually). One time I did some standing yoga poses at a golf course and when I finished I heard this "Aaaaaand she's done!" I got red in the face at first, then I just laughed to myself. So what if I put on a free show? Don't let people get to you. Remember, all and ALL of your feelings start in YOUR head. No one else can control how you feel. Really! Tell me one person, animal, or thing that controls your feelings. Just do yourself a favor and feel good no matter what you do. Get some fun exercise in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment