Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Good Afternoon! Day 2

Lesson 2: Cheap thrill vs. Pure joy

Hello! I made one of my favorite smoothies this morning after a good Pilates and yoga workout. Feeling fit and healthy, as well as eating plenty of citrus and pineapple, brings me more joy and reward than a "party" night feeling loopy and then feeling like crapola the next morning ridden with guilt, headaches, heartache, and misery. In the mutation lesson (yes your cells get mutated on most binges, fun huh?) I'll talk about how your mind becomes triggered to "par-tay" at certain moments. For a head start rent the movie What The #$*! Do We Know?. http://www.whatthebleep.com

During my 2011 one-year quit, one afternoon the Pavlov's bell rang to get that bottle of wine and pack of Nat Sherman's. Luckily I was invited to a wedding reception that night, a I promised myself not to drink or smoke, and heck I had an excuse to dress up! There I experienced this extreme joy watching children dance to old hits like Devo and the B-52's. It reminded me of my once-innocence, which makes me cry when I thought I was addicted to alcohol and smoking. Can you picture a beautiful child doing so? Why should we now as beautiful adults? Yes, we are still gorgeous, fashionable, intelligent, and imaginative so why ruin that? I also had some of the best dark chocolate cake I've ever eaten, and I reunited with friends and met some new ones. I didn't have to drink and I was too busy dancing, flirting, eating, and just enjoying! My senses were over-stimulated without the booze. Remember if you drink too much your senses become numb, and you forget instead of remember. I know this is freudenschade however when I did see the drunk folks at the reception, it gave me pleasure to know I still had my senses! I thought, poor people, I'm glad I am not one of them.

On to citrus, which is a natural anti-depressant. Bet you didn't know that one. And if you did kudos to you! Wonder why you feel so good after drinking that morning O.J.? Packed with vitamin C, unlike alcohol which basically strips your sexy bod of all of its nutrients and sexiness, like alcohol produces dopamine which gives you a sense of peace and calm. That also helps you get a good night’s sleep! Which is awesome because after I quit drinkin' and a smokin' I had seriously bad insomnia until I started buying truckloads of oranges as well as fresh and dried cherries which are great to eat before bed time. Citrus also helps to keep the red blood cell count high so that you get enough oxygen in your blood stream (and your brain) to help you to function to your optimum level according to www.livingliveandlovingitcounselling.com. Try eating a handful of fresh or dried cherries with walnuts before you go to sleep.

For my favorite smoothie recipe ( yes I will have a big-ass chapter on smoothies, so I suggest going to Costco now and investing in a Vita-Mix or Omega blender), Sarma Melngailis' pineapple and cilantro smoothie, buy her books! Or you can check out my smoothie blog eh? http://radiantsmoothies.blogspot.com. Pineapple has beautifying enzymes and cilantro is like bleach for your body! It cleans everything especially your liver! Yes, it is delicious, trust me.

So there's a little taste on how binge-drinking is nothing but a temporary cheap thrill, when you can hang around the company of friends and family and experience true joy. Tasting a myriad of citrus is also a very, very smart and savvy idea. For your joy planning, you can absolutely do it alone or a few peeps too! Go to a modern art or history museum, watch a comedy or tear-jerker of a movie,or musical, go ice skating, go rollerblading, Hell go shopping!! Do anything that will give you joy.

Love, peace, and filtered water with citrus slices,

The Savvy Sobergirl




No comments:

Post a Comment